Three facts about mold damage
A lot of issues can arise for water damage one of which is mold damage. Mold can affect your residential and/or commercial property in a big way. If this happens, SERVPRO® of Chillicothe/Cameron/Richmond can make the damage, “Like it never even happened.” It’s good to learn about mold. Here are three facts about mold.
3 facts about mold damage
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
There are many other things you should know about mold. In fact, we encourage you to test your knowledge when it comes to mold damage.
Confusion and misunderstanding surround the topic of mold and mold remediation. Some restoration businesses even make claims to remove all mold from a building. This is a fallacy. Mold spores occur naturally almost everywhere, both indoors and outdoors.
When there’s mold damage at your home or business, count on the company that fits the “mold!” SERVPRO of Chillicothe/Cameron/Richmond is your professional local mold remediation and restoration company. Our heroes specialize in mold remediation. Contact us if you have a mold problem. Call 660.240.5105 for your solution options.
When disaster strikes we are here to help.
Create a Family Emergency Plan
With any storm, preparation is key. Now -- not then -- is the time for you to create a family emergency plan so you, your family members and fur babies are well-equipped when a storm strikes. A family emergency plan can help save lives. Here are just a few items to include:
- Communication plan
- Phone and/or walkie talkies (some form of communication device)
- First Aid Kit
- Emergency supplies
- Important phone numbers
Anchor Loose Objects
If objects, such as grills, bikes, deck furniture, trash cans, etc., are loose when a storm hits your residential property, it can cause windows to break, damage to your vehicles, your home or a human being. It’s vital to anchor loose objects to help minimize the risk of outdoor threats. By adding shrubs of varying lengths, fences, trees in a row are ways to help block high winds. Utilizing landscaping and yard objects can be beneficial in this case.
We hope you found these 5 tips to prepare your home for storms to be highly beneficial. Storm and flood damage require specialized restoration techniques and apparatus. When a storm hits your home, you need the company with storm damage experience and expertise. SERVPRO of Chillicothe/Cameron/Richmond can respond immediately to storm and flooding conditions. When a storm emergency occurs, We’re here for you. Just contact us online or call 660-240-5105.
Odor and Smoke Damage
Smoke damage caused by a home fire
Smoke and soot can be very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Chillicothe, Cameron, and Richmond will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today at our office: SERVPRO of Chillicothe, Cameron and Richmond is here for you 24/7 at 660-240-5105.
Health Concerns regarding the flu
Tip and tricks for staying healthy
It is well known the best way to deal with the cold or flu is to not catch it in the first place. Below is a list of SERVPRO of Chillicothe/Cameron/Richmond’s recommended steps to prevent illness.
- WASH YOUR HANDS: Common colds spread by direct contact. Avoid people with colds or flu like symptoms. Remember viruses can spread from hands to door handles, telephone, remotes, keyboards and can live for hours. It is important to wash your hands multiple times a day or use alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- GET MORE SLEEP: 7-8 hrs of restful sleep can be the difference between catching a serious illness or having the strength to fight it. Remember late night cell phone use needs to be limited and it is important to allow your mind time to unwind. It is wise to turn off your cell phone 2 hrs before bedtime.
- DRINK PLENTY OF FLUIDS: Avoid becoming dehydrated. A healthy adult needs at least 1.5 liters of water a day. Drinking water helps flush your system and will build a stronger immune system.
- EAT WELL: A diet rich in fruits and vegetables can help you avoid multiple health issues. Dark citrus fruits, dark blue and red berries, mangoes, apricots, carrots, and beetroot all support the immune system. Also, protein keeps the body strong and functioning at its best.
- AVOID SMOKING/ALCOHOL: Smoking cigarettes can damage the delicate tissues of the respiratory tract and make you susceptible to viruses. Consuming large amounts of alcohol is bad for immune cells. They become disorientated and confused, stunting reproduction.
- EXERCISE: Exercise helps to boost circulation which makes it easier for immune cells to get around the whole body, searching out viruses. It also stimulates the lymphatic system which helps to eliminate toxins and waste
- AVOID STRESS: It is well known that stress can weaken your immune system. Become aware of your emotional triggers and step away when needed. Your peace of mind is just as important as your physical health.
- GET PLENTY OF FRESH AIR: Avoid getting stuck in a room full of people with stale air. Find fresh air and breathe deeply. This helps the lymphatic system move protective immune cells around the body. Even though it's cold, try opening the window for a few minutes every hour for a blast of fresh air.
- STAY WARM: When you feel the onset of a cold make sure to keep your body heat regulated.
- USE A HEALTHCARE GRADE DISINFECTANT: We at SERVPRO of Chillicothe/Cameron/Richmond love our SERVPROXIDE. It is approved to clean all surface areas. Find a solution that works for you.
Faster to any sized disaster
The office of SERVPRO of Chillicothe, Cameron, and Richmond provides 24-hour emergency service and is dedicated to being faster to any-sized disaster in your home or business. We can respond immediately to your emergency and have the expertise to handle your restoration or cleaning needs.
- 24-Hour Emergency Service
- Faster to Any-Sized Disaster
- Highly Trained Restoration Technicians
- A Trusted Leader in the Restoration Industry
- Locally Owned and Operated
- Advanced Restoration and Cleaning Equipment
Have Questions? Call Us 24/7 at 660-240-5105
Whether your home needs emergency flood damage or your upholstery cleaned, you can depend on us. Our technicians have extensive cleaning and restoration training and can make your property look its best. Learn more about our residential services:
- Water Damage Restoration
- Fire Damage Restoration
- Mold Remediation
- Storm Damage Restoration
- Cleaning Services
- Building/Reconstruction Services
By visiting our website today @ www.SERVPROchillicothecameronrichmond.com.
Routine Air Duct cleaning for HVAC units
Do you know what the biggest culprit in poor indoor air quality is? If you guessed the ventilation system then you guessed correctly. Make it a priority to inspect the duct-work of your home or business.
If your HVAC has been operating for some time without attention, it could be circulating odors, dust and other contaminates. Dust can cause more than just respiratory issues. Keeping the air ducts cleaned out and properly sanitized is a benefit to everyone who enters your home or business.
SERVPRO of Chillicothe/Cameron/Richmond routinely cleans the heating, ventilation and air conditioning duct systems (HVAC). It is important to keep them clean. Keeping them clean can extend the life of the equipment. This can in turn save you money and give you cleaner air to breathe which can minimize the impact of allergies.
However, duct cleaning is not always the answer if there is an underlying issue that needs addresses. SERVPRO of Chillicothe/Cameron/Richmond will make recommendations about the best way to address any indoor air quality concerns. This can save you money and provide peace of mind.
The benefits of servicing your HVAC duct system unit include:
- Helps to restore peak energy efficiency.
- May help to eliminate offensive odors.
- Helps reduce the potential for mold growth.
For more information on duct cleaning contact your local SERVPRO of Chillicothe/Cameron/Richmond Professionals today. We are locally owned and operated and are always here to help! Contact us today at 660-240-5105 or email our office at office@SERVPROchillicothe.com.
Safety first after a fire loss has occurred
If a fire loss has occurred and the fire department has extinguished the fire, here are a few important things to remember while on site. SAFETY FIRST!
- Determine if the site is safe to continue to reside in. Is it safe and still protected from the elements? In some cases this is an option. It may be best to find a safe place for your family/pets to stay during the repair/remediation process. Speak with your insurance regarding displacement assistance and see if it is available under your policy.
- Electrical and "slip and fall" hazards need to be addressed immediately. It is not simply fire damage that occurred - water from the fire department can cause almost as much damage as the fire did. Expect large puddles of water, soot, and debris.
- Determine what your immediate needs are and only do activities that are safe. Don’t trust furniture/structures to be stable. Use caution! Wet materials can be very heavy, do not attempt to move anything without testing its weight.
- Be very careful walking on any flooring that received fire/water damage. DO NOT walk on affected floor joist and/or beams.
- Do not attempt to eat/drink anything from an open food container. Especially if it was near the source of the fire and water damage. Keep in mind heated plastic containers can release deadly toxins into water/soda under the right conditions.
- Don't attempt to wash the interior walls or clean carpet/upholstery without speaking to one of our cleaning specialists first. You may set the soot/smoke damage and limit the ability our ability to repair.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire without consulting an authorized repair service. Check with a specialist before assuming it is safe.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged. Better safe than sorry!
- Make sure and notify your electrical, gas, and water company of the loss.
Last but most important try to stay calm and call SERVPRO of Chillicothe/Cameron/Richmond at 660-240-5105, to evaluate and assist you further. As scary as a fire can be, you should not face the situation alone. We are here as a resource for you!
Storm teams have disaster relief on a national level
SERVPRO of Chillicothe/Cameron/Richmond has access to storm teams on a national level for disaster recovery. We can provide help whether you're dealing with a tornado, hurricane, blizzard or flood. The national SERVPRO System has a network of strategically positioned storm teams on standby should a disaster strike near you. Available 24 hours a day and 365 days a year, SERVPRO Franchise Professionals are prepared for the unpredictable.
With the ability to mobilize local command centers, along with the resources of more than 1,700 Franchises nationwide, no disaster is too big. Recent mobilizations of the Catastrophic Storm Response Teams include:
- California wildfires
- Hurricane Irma
- Hurricane Harvey
- Hurricane Matthew
A Fast Response Is Crucial!
It can be devastating when storm and flood damage occurs. You need a company with storm damage experience. If you experience a loss please don’t hesitate to reach out. SERVPRO of Chillicothe/Cameron/Richmond is always here to help. You can reach us online or by calling 660-240-5105.
Commercial Cleaning Advantage
Each business has different needs. Whether you need cleaning for a commercial office or require industrial cleaning services, your local SERVPRO of Chillicothe/Cameron/Richmond Professional can help. We know that you are busy and do not have time to worry about the common wear and tear that gradually soils your office or warehouse. When grime, odor, and moisture challenges go beyond the scope of your regular janitorial staff, call in your local SERVPRO of Chillicothe/Cameron/Richmond Professional. Whether it’s removing an odor problem or deep cleaning flooring or carpets, you can rely on SERVPRO of Chillicothe/Cameron/Richmond Professionals to make your workspace or warehouse look its very best.
We will get the job done right and get it done quickly, because the SERVPRO Advantage includes these benefits:
- Award-winning training
- Over 40 years’ experience in the industry
- More than 100 exclusive cleaning products
If your business has questions? Contact us today at 660-240-5105
Displaying our skills at a local hotel
Displaying our skills at a local hotel. We are grateful a locally owned business trusted SERVPRO of Chillicothe/Cameron/Richmond with the unique opportunity to show off our commercial PTAC (Packaged Terminal Air Conditioner) skills at the commercial level. We performed our cleaning services in-room while providing a fast and hassle free experience. SERVPRO of Chillicothe/Cameron/Richmond has the capability to handle anything from AC unit cleanings to entire residential and commercial duct work cleanings. We use industry leading equipment and training to get your HVAC system in top shape. A clean HVAC system can not only improve heating and cooling efficiency but it improves the quality of air that your family, employees, and customers breathe. Whether your business Commercial or you need assistance at the residential level, our expert technicians have the knowledge and training to handle many of your HVAC/PTAC cleaning needs. Give us a call today to discuss your options at 660-240-5105.